Nicholasville Kentucky Hotels
The Keene Springs Hotel is a sprawling three-story, two-bedroom, one-bathroom home built by Mason Singleton Jr in Nicholasville, Kentucky, in the early 20th century. For many years it was run as a boarding house known as the Nicholasville Hotel or Nicholsville Boarding House.
The hotel attracted residents as a vacation destination, and the hotel and tavern were associated with the town of Nicholasville and the nearby town of Keene Springs, Kentucky. The hotel's tavern was an establishment that housed a restaurant, bar and tavern with a large courtyard and bar area for guests.
The 19th century was marked by cholera epidemics and other infectious diseases, often transmitted by travelers along the major river systems. Lexington residents came to the hotel to try to escape the spread of the disease in the city. Some people fled Lexington and stayed at the Nicholasville Hotel, as well as the Keene Springs Hotel and Lexington Hotel.
The singletons were among the early pioneers of the county who emigrated to Virginia shortly after 1800. They were descended from French Huguenot immigrants who settled in Virginia after the fall of the James River in the 17th century. At the end of the 19th century, they emigrated from Virginia to Texas and took with them fifteen children aged 23 to six years old who lived in their hotel.
McTyre sold the hotel to F. S. Wilson after the American Civil War, when it failed as a resort. He bought it in 1868 and at the end of the century he ran it from a boarding house.
L - Compact brick house that Mason Sr. built in Jessamine County in 1810 and still stands today. The Wilson family used the building as a residential home for many years before it became known as Wilson's general store.